Thursday, January 10, 2013

2013 goals

A few weeks ago I was perusing Kohl's in the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season.  I was there with the intent of finding some new jewelry for the Christmas concert I would be singing in that weekend.

My heart wasn't really into Christmas at that point, as my great state of Connecticut had just experienced the nation's 2nd worst school shooting in our country's history the day before.  Then, I spotted a ring that said "hope".


Given the circumstances of the day before, I couldn't pass it up.

Also, notice the finger I'm choosing to wear it on.

I am more hopeful with this new year than I have been since I can remember.  It is 1/3 of the way through January and I'm still pretty positive... most moments.  Yes, this is a moment-by-moment process and most moments I still feel positive that 2013 is going to be a great year.

That said, I have a few goals that God has been speaking to me about - and I'm putting them here to document them and hopefully use this blog as a way to keep track of the goals being checked off my list.

2013 - 

Health Goals:
Lose these last 30 pounds.  I'm down almost 60 pounds since March (80 pounds since August  2010!!), and this is the home stretch.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I could be one of "those" people who actually attempted to lose weight and was successful at it. Xyngular has been such a blessing to me this year, and I pray my success continues.

Exercise. - I was doing ok with this before winter hit.  I need to get back to the gym until it warms up enough to be walking outside at Poquonnock Plains Park.  Kathryn has been encouraging me in this area already and for that I am thankful.  Goal is to exercise 3 times a week beginning in February, if not before.

Financial Goals:
Pay extra on my student loans when I can. I'm looking at the last few thousand on my student loans.  Ultimately this is better debt than other types of debt, but it is debt nonetheless.  I'd like to see it gone.

Cut my credit card debt in half.  This is a lofty goal with work being so random and unreliable.  But, I was blessed with news from the state last week and I know God is pushing me to get rid of my 2 credit cards altogether, so I'm praying towards this goal.

Personal Goals:
Go on a date. Is this asking too much?  One date with a normal man.  I think that's reasonable.

Is getting engaged by the end of the year too ridiculous?  Ultimately I'd love to replace the "hope" ring on my finger with a diamond.  Not sure this is the year for that, but with God ANYTHING is possible!!!!!  I'm really praying through some difficult things right now - I've always always ALWAYS wanted to be a wife and mother.  I can remember playing hospital when I was 6 or 7 years old and I would pretend to be in labor (true story).  It has been a desire of my heart for as long as I can remember.  I'm staring down 35 years in 2013 and I'm still waiting.  I keep telling people "I don't think God would give me this strong of a desire to be a wife and mother if it wasn't in His plan for me."  But then (what I hope is) the enemy creeps in.  Doubt takes up residence and I get discouraged.  A friend told me last week that she has committed to praying this year for my husband.  My response was that many, many days I can't bring myself to pray about marriage and motherhood because it is just too painful - it feels like an empty, unanswered prayer.  I'm working on getting rid of that mentality - of that attitude of disappointment and fear.  It's a process, people.

Scripture memorization.  I may or may not have ordered this super adorable lined spiral index card book to help me memorize a verse a month.  I'm going to post January's verse as soon as the cards come in!

Seriously attempt to build a small business.  Building my small business with Xyngular will not only help me achieve my weight loss goals, but also my financial goals.  It just makes sense!

That's it!  I think those are attainable goals.  What goals have you set for 2013?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

You should be sick more often if it mean you're gonna blog! Woohoo!

Rachel said...

if it means*

dangit

valerie said...

I blame the type-o on NBS. (New Baby Syndrome).

And I'm going to be a better blogger this year - sick or not!